Saturday, July 01, 2006

Family

I know I've been remiss in writing yet again, but nothing really made me feel that I *had* to write and so I haven't...until tonight.

I'm here in Arlington by myself, still getting used to the new setting and people around me. Scott and I talk every night, even surmounting the obstacle of cell phones w/ crappy service where I'm staying (yay for internet phone service). It seems like everything is easy except for the whole separation thing.

I rented "The Family Stone" dvd tonight since I didn't have anywhere to be for the evening. The movie was good, but it also reminded me of something that I am so thankful for - my soon to be family-in-law is wonderful. :)

In the movie, one of the main characters meets her bf's family for the first time and totally doesn't fit in. The experience was horrible for her.

I'm lucky - I didn't have to deal with that kind of stuff when I met Scott's family for the first time. I was nervous of course, but everything turned out fine and I almost immediately felt like I had known them for a while instead of just a few minutes/hours.

Not everyone lucks out like me, and more than a few of my female friends don't particularly like their bf or SO's parents or family. I think sometimes it's hard for people to get used to the idea of a newcomer becoming a 'member of the family'; they're so used to things the way they have always been that adding another person changes the dynamic so much that it takes time to adjust to.

Relationships are interesting that way I think - you're always learning about new dynamics and situations and how to deal with them easily. As I've said before, flexibility is key.

And now this lucky girl is signing off so she can go talk to her amazingly wonderful fiance. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home